It’s been a year


 I had our newborn strapped to my chest when I told my husband I felt called to foster. He was washing the dishes and I came up behind him and blurted it out. I don’t remember his exact response but I’m pretty sure it included the words “what” and “crazy”... but here we are a year(ish) later about to be licensed foster parents!

After I told my husband I wanted to do this, we took the next few weeks to research, talk to others, and pray about it. We talked to the only two foster families we knew and researched the process. We learned so much during that time of digging into what foster care in our area looks like. We told friends and family we were considering it and were met with both support and questioning. There were a few key points during those weeks that helped us decide we shouldn’t hide from this need anymore.

•There is a large need, much larger than we realized

•It is not a costly process, in fact most agencies cover any costs that may arise during the licensing process (ie. Background check, training)

•We have support from our small group, through the agency and other friends

•Lastly, “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James‬ ‭1:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬ https://www.bible.com/111/jas.1.27.niv

This verse stands out to us when considering what Gods will is for our family. That feeling of being called to this hasn’t gone away but it doesn’t stop those “are we crazy” and “what are we doing” thoughts. I try to remember this verse in those moments and the need we’re hoping to meet. Other times I ask those same questions through laughter as our toddler chases our two, terribly spoiled, dogs through the house. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again ... we have no idea what we’re doing. That doesn’t change the fact that there’s a need. 

Most days I have at least one quiet moment where I breathe in the mess that is my family and my home and thank God for the opportunity to grow it. It, as in the mess. With each kiddo that comes, mess will likely travel with them whether emotional, physical or behavioral. Whatever mess they may bring I’ll do my best to love them through it because God loves me, mess and all included! 

I had one of those quiet moments recently, I was in bed with our son and pups piled between us. When I looked around at our mess of a bed I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. I had one thought as I watched my loves nap...𝐰𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 

 𝐌𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮?

 

Love you friends,

V


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is hard

What if

Faith over Fear